A Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is a specialized degree that you can pursue after completing your bachelor’s degree. It typically takes three years to complete. DPTs are highly trained healthcare professionals who focus on various areas of rehabilitation. They are considered clinical doctors in their field. DPT in Pakistan eligibility, career scope, duration with complete detail has been mentioned over here.
During the DPT program, students receive a solid foundation in biological, kinesiological, and behavioral sciences. They also learn about logical and scientific reasoning. The program emphasizes the importance of collaboration in physical therapy practice. This means that DPTs work closely with other healthcare professionals to achieve shared goals.
After graduating, DPTs are fully equipped to practice in a clinical setting. They have the skills to evaluate and treat patients without needing a referral from another healthcare professional. They are also trained to effectively work as part of a team.
Here are a few more important facts about the DPT degree:
- The DPT degree is the primary requirement to become a physical therapist in the United States. It serves as the entry-level degree for this profession.
- DPT programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). This ensures that the programs meet the necessary standards and provide quality education.
- To become a licensed physical therapist, DPT graduates must pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE). This exam tests their knowledge and competency in the field.
- Physical therapists can work in various settings such as hospitals, clinics, schools, and sports medicine facilities. They have the opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of patients across all age groups.
What is DPT?
DPT, which stands for Doctor of Physical Therapy, is a form of treatment used to alleviate physical pain and address issues related to muscles and bones. This therapy involves assessing the patient’s medical history and conducting a physical examination to make a diagnosis. Based on the diagnosis, a management plan is developed. In some cases, laboratory tests and imaging studies like X-rays, CT scans, or MRI scans may also be used to gather additional information.
In Pakistan, the scope of DPT is expanding. Physical therapy has proven to be an effective treatment for relieving physical pain and improving daily functioning and mobility. Interestingly, when people experience pain, their first instinct is often to visit a doctor. However, many may overlook the option of seeing a chiropractor due to lack of awareness.
It’s important to note that a Doctor of Physical Therapy is recognized as a physiotherapist in various regions around the world, including Australia, Canada, and Europe. In the United States, the profession itself is referred to as physical therapy.
Responsibilities of Physiotherapists
- Physiotherapists are experts who create customized plans to address their patients’ physical pain and provide appropriate treatment. These plans often involve exercises that aim to restore balance and physical strength.
- In physiotherapy, various activities are employed. These include prescribing or assisting with specific exercises, manual therapy, and manipulation techniques. The goal of physical therapy is to help people prevent mobility loss by focusing on wellness and physical well-being. The aim is to encourage healthier and more active lifestyles for individuals.
- Physiotherapy is a professional career with diverse branches. Physical therapists are highly valued in the field of sports, as they play a crucial role in helping athletes recover and perform at their best.
- Physiotherapists also contribute to the medico-legal field by acting as experts, conducting peer reviews, and performing independent medical examinations.
- As you can see, physical therapists have a significant impact on the overall health sector. They also serve in non-patient care roles such as health policies, health insurance, administration, and healthcare management.
DPT in Pakistan After Career Jobs Scope Starting Salary Best Fields Eligibility
- Audiologist: An audiologist is a specialist who identifies and treats problems related to hearing and balance.
- Chiropractor: Chiropractors are professionals who offer treatments such as spinal adjustments to relieve pain and address issues with muscles and bones.
- Occupational Therapist: Occupational therapists assist individuals with injuries, illnesses, or disabilities in engaging in daily activities. Recreational Therapist: Recreational therapists work with people who have disabilities or face other challenges, helping them participate in enjoyable leisure activities.
- Speech Language Pathologist: Speech language pathologists evaluate and provide therapy for individuals with speech, language, and swallowing disorders.
Scheme of Study for DPT
First Year Subjects
Introduction to Computers
Second Year Subjects
Biochemistry & Genetics II
Biomechanics & Ergonomics
Third Year Subjects
Pathology & Microbiology
Physical Agents & Electrotherapy
Including Medical physics
Therapeutic exercises & Techniques &
Fourth Year Subjects
Medicine including Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging.
Clinical decision making & differential diagnosis
Evidence based physical therapy & professional practice.
Physical therapy treatments & technique I(Musculoskeletal sports, grammatology including geriatrics, pediatric physical therapy and supervised clinical practice (I,II, III)
Community medicine including sociology, biostatistics & research methodology.
Fifth Year Subjects
Emergency procedures & primary care physical therapy.
Exercise physiology & health & wellness.
Physical therapy treatment & techniques II (Cardiopulmonary, Neurological, Gynecological & Obstetrics, Integumentary physical therapy & supervised clinical practice IV, V, VI)
Prosthetics, orthotics, human development & community based rehabilitation.
DPT Eligibility Criteria in Pakistan
To be considered eligible, applicants must meet one of the following qualifications. If the qualifications are obtained from a foreign country, an Equivalence Certificate issued by the Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC) of Pakistan must accompany the application.
- A minimum overall score of 60% in the Pre-Medical group of Higher Secondary School Certification or its equivalent in Pakistan.
- British Advanced Level Certification with Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. The score should be over 60% (Pre-Medical) as per the IBCC Equivalence.
- US Grade-12 or Canadian Grade 12 or 13 Diploma (minimum GPA 3.0) along with an Equivalence Certificate from the IBCC. The Equivalence Certificate should confirm at least a 60% score in the HSSC Pre-Medical qualification. The final three years of study should include Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and English.
Higher Secondary School Certificate (12th grade) from other countries, including Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. An Equivalence Certificate from the IBCC is required, verifying a minimum 60% HSSC pre-medical qualification.
DPT Scope in Pakistan
Upon completion of a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program in Pakistan, students can expect to have a wide range of opportunities. DPT professionals possess various skills, including conducting physical therapy examinations, evaluations, diagnoses, prognoses, interventions, and preventive activities. They also focus on promoting wellness initiatives and optimizing healthcare utilization.
By pursuing this course, you will gain the necessary expertise to become a physiotherapist. As a physiotherapist, you will assist patients who face physical difficulties due to illness, injury, disability, or aging. Your role will involve promoting health and well-being while aiding in rehabilitation. This is accomplished by targeting various body systems, such as the neuromuscular, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, and respiratory systems.
Choosing a profession in Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) in Pakistan opens up a wide scope of opportunities. As a DPT professional, you become a vital figure who helps people regain their ability to walk, move, and lead healthy lives. Every profession holds its own importance, but having a life ambition to serve others is truly valuable. Moreover, there are abundant opportunities available both within the country and internationally for DPT practitioners.
Best DPT Universities in Pakistan
- University of Karachi
- Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS)
- Zia Uddin University
- SBB DEWAN UNIVERSITY
- Jinnah Sindh Medical University
- Jinnah Medical & Dental College
- Isra University
- Iqra University – Main Campus
- Jinnah University For Women
- Newport’s Institute of Communications and Economics (Main Campus)
- Nazeer Husain University
- Indus University
- Baqai Medical University
- Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences
- Peoples University of Medical and Health Sciences For Women (PUMHSW)
Major Career Options After DPT in Pakistan
Public & Private Hospitals: These medical facilities offer a wide range of healthcare services, such as inpatient and outpatient care, surgeries, and diagnostic tests.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Centers: These specialized centers provide focused care for individuals with injuries, illnesses, or disabilities that impact their physical function.
Healthcare NGOs: Non-profit organizations dedicated to delivering healthcare services to those in need.
Aid Agencies & Organizations: Non-profit organizations that offer financial or material support to individuals in need.
Private Clinics: These clinics provide various healthcare services, including primary care, specialized treatments, and surgical procedures.
Sports Clubs & Teams: Organizations that create opportunities for people to engage in sports and physical activities.
Academics: Professionals involved in research and teaching in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Biomedical Engineers: Experts who design, develop, and test medical devices and equipment used in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Research in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Research activities aimed at improving the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of conditions that affect physical function.
Starting Salary of DPT Professional
The salary range for DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) professionals in Pakistan varies based on their experience. Fresh graduates and experienced individuals may have different pay scales. The table below provides an overview of the salary after completing DPT, helping you make informed decisions when considering job opportunities in the field:
|Government||Rs.40,000 to Rs.90,000/ month|
|Private||Rs.30,000 to Rs.200,000/ month|
Fields After DPT in Pakistan
After completing your Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree in Pakistan, there are several fields that offer great career opportunities. Here are some of the best options to consider:
- Hospitals and Rehabilitation Centers: You can work in public or private hospitals and specialized rehabilitation centers, providing comprehensive care to patients with various physical conditions and injuries.
- Sports Medicine: Joining sports teams, clubs, or organizations allows you to assist athletes in recovering from sports-related injuries, improving performance, and preventing future injuries.
- Orthopedic Clinics: Specializing in orthopedic clinics allows you to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal disorders, focusing on targeted care for patients.
- Geriatric Care: With the aging population, there is a growing demand for DPT professionals specializing in geriatric care. You can work in hospitals, nursing homes, or provide home healthcare services to help elderly individuals maintain mobility and functional independence.
- Pediatric Rehabilitation: This field involves working with children who have physical disabilities, developmental delays, or congenital conditions. You can provide specialized care in pediatric hospitals, rehabilitation centers, or schools.
- Research and Academia: If you have a passion for advancing the field of physical therapy, you can pursue research opportunities or teaching positions in universities, contributing to knowledge and educating future DPT professionals.
These fields offer rewarding career paths, and you can choose the one that aligns with your interests and aspirations in the field of physical therapy.
Pots Graduate Courses After DPT in Pakistan
After completing a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree, graduates have various options to pursue further education, advanced studies, or specialization in the following areas:
|Master of Philosophy in Physical Therapy (Musculoskeletal) (M.Phil. PT- MSK)||2 Years|
|MSc in Physical Therapy||2 Years|
|MS in Physical Therapy (Neurology)||2 Years|
|M. Phil in Physiotherapy||2 Years|
|Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) n Physical Therapy||3 to 5 Years|
|Masters in Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Science||2 to 5 Years|
|Master in Physical Activity and active living||2 Years|
|Master In Rehabilitation science and physiotherapy||5 Years|
|MSC in Cognitive neurorehabilitation||2 Years|
|Masters in Sports Therapy||2 Years|
|MSC Occupational Therapy||2 Years|
Short Questions About DPT in Pakistan
What is the DPT duration in Pakistan?
The Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) recognizes the first professional degree in physical therapy, which lasts for 5 years (10 semesters), equivalent to 17 years of schooling.
Is MDCAT necessary for DPT in Pakistan?
Admission to programs like BSc (Hons.) and Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) follows a merit calculation method similar to MBBS and BDS programs. It includes a weightage of 50 percent for the MDCAT exam, 40 percent for Intermediate results, and 10 percent for Matriculation marks.
Which University is best for DPT in Karachi?
University of Karachi is best for DPT in Karachi.
Which jobs are offered after DPT degree?
After completing DPT, various job opportunities become available. Graduates can work as consultant physiotherapists in multi-specialty hospitals, healthcare centers, or as corporate physiotherapists in multinational companies. They can also become healthcare physiotherapy instructors in modern gyms or work as physiotherapists in special schools for physically challenged children.
Which course is the best after DPT?
There are also postgraduate programs available for DPT graduates. They can pursue Master of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, Master in Myo-functional Therapy, Master of Physiotherapy, Master of Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, or Master of Science in Clinical Exercise Physiology.
Is there any scope of DPT in Pakistan?
DPT involves providing therapies and treatments for bone fractures, post-surgical recovery, and massages. While the scope of DPT may be limited in Pakistan, it offers higher opportunities in foreign countries. Physiotherapists play a significant role in providing massages and various therapies to assist people in managing pain and improving movement problems.
What are the benefits of DPT?
Physical therapy is beneficial for managing chronic pain and movement issues, potentially preventing the need for surgery. It helps alleviate symptoms of many chronic diseases and conditions, as well as halt their progression.
You Might Also Like
- Best Computer Courses List in Pakistan
- What Should We Do After Matric Exam Guidelines For Students
- LLB in Pakistan After Career Jobs Scope Starting Salary Best...
- MBA in Pakistan After Career Scope Subjects Requirements Job...
- BS Mass Communication in Pakistan After Career Subjects Scop...
- Top Medical Fields Options 2023 for Pakistani Students
- FSc Pre-Medical in Pakistan Subjects Jobs Career After FSc P...
- BSc in Pakistan After Career Jobs Scope Starting Salary Subj...
- B.Com in Pakistan Scope Jobs Opportunities and Starting Sala...
- Scope of FSc Pre-Engineering in Pakistan Eligibility Subject...